I was using the
camera to take photos of the classroom and the outside environment and I
noticed that a small group of children were looking at me taking the photos,
soon P came up to me and asked “ can I use the camera” then Z asked the same
question. I decided that I could
make this a learning experience for the children, even though I might not have
all the answers for the children that the may have I could still enjoy working
with the children with this piece of technology(Smorti, 1999). I explained to them that they could each take turns with the camera
and go around the classroom taking pictures of their favorite things to do at
daycare. Through this activity the children are going to gain a better
understanding of how this piece of technology work and gain new knowledge and
skills (Ministry of Education, 2007).
First P had the
camera, she went over to the art area and said, “I am taking photos of the art corner because I love
painting”. I watched how she zoomed in and out to make sure that she had exactly
what she wanted in the fame and to make sure that it was in focus I thought to
myself this is not the first time she has operated a camera, I thought she was
very advanced for her age. When P had finished taking pictures she handed the
camera to F and I noticed that this child was not as confident as the last
child with operating the camera. This child was unsure on how to hold the
camera and how to take photos. He struggled to take the photos in focus and
asked for assistance from the other children. He soon took a photo of the
puzzles and said this was because he liked solving puzzles and that there are
lots of puzzles to choose from. Lastly Z had a turn with the camera he was more
confident than the last child but I could see that there was still some
learning to be done. He went onto the deck and took a photo of the family
corner and dress up area in the background, he said he took this photo because
he loved to dress up and play in the family corner house.
After taking time
to think about this experience I have realised that even though these children
do know the basics about the camera because this is a common piece of
technology, there is still more learning to be done. I think the children had
learned a lot from this expierence realizing that technology can be used in different
places and settings( Ministry of Education, 1996). I would like to do another experience
similar to this that will further their skills with the camera. I also think
this because a digital camera is different to a camera that you have on an
Iphone or an Ipad which the children are very familiar with because these seem
to be a more common item in the house these days with the children in my
centre.
Reference list
Ministry of Education.
(1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki
mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington,
New Zealand: Learning Media
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand Cirricilum. Wellington,
New Zealand: Learning Media.
smorti, S. (1999).
Technology in early childhood. Early education, 58 (1), 1-9.


I enjoyed reading your blog about the digital camera as I too wrote about the digital camera. I liked how each child took photos of the different things they enjoyed and how they where all different. It was interesting to read about the different skills that the three children had.Sounds like child F is developing and understanding how the camera works and why certain buttons do what they do with the help of the other children (New Zealand Curriculum, 2007)Will you use these photos for the children's portfolio and write about this learning experience?
ReplyDeleteI think it would be a great idea to carry on this learning experience and see the skills develop over time and see if any other children are interested in using the camera.To carry on the learning experience you could go out into the community and take photos.
Simone, I really liked this blog as it showed how you recognised the potential for a learning experience when it started off as something unrelated to the children. The children showed an interest in the digital camera and you followed through by giving them the opportunity to use it. I found it interesting that some children were more competent with the camera than the others and I wonder how you can extend this learning experience to include all of the children regardless of their current skills? I enjoyed reading the part where you mentioned the child who was struggling a little with the camera asked the other children to help them. This shows the concept of Ako is happening within your centre. This concept reflects being able to learn and to teach at the same time (Tamati, n.d.). The children are all developing their skills by using the cameras and some were teaching the others.
ReplyDeleteLike the others, I also enjoyed reading about the three children’s different abilities when using the camera. Child P showed a lot of skill to be able to focus and zoom in and out, maybe that child would be able to help the others who are less confident, which would also help to build some good relationships. I like the idea about getting the children to take photos of something they liked. Maybe next time you could just let the children go free with the cameras and see what they take photos off. Through the strand well-being “Children develop an increasing ability to determine their own actions and make their own choices” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p. 50). You could then look at the photos on the computer and have a discussion with the child about why they took those particular photos. You never know, you might even learn something new about that child. Do children in your centre often have the chance to use cameras? If they have more time then they will have the chance to become more familiar and confident using the camera.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great blog about children having a chance to become familiar with digital cameras. I loved how the children all worked together taking turns and helping each other. It showed that tuakana-teina is happening in your centre, which is awesome. Ministry of Education (1996) suggests that through activities like this, children are part of an environment where they can they can develop confidence, have the ability to express their ideas and help others. Therefore this activity was a great way for children to build confidence within themselves and also with their use of technology. Simone I really liked the idea of the children taking their own photos of things that they like in the centre and I felt that this gave them a sense of belonging. Maybe a way to extend on this experience could be to print the photos for the children to look at and show others. Displaying them in a digital frame or through a TV for all children, teachers and whanau to see their amazing photo taking skills could be another idea. What do you think?
ReplyDelete