Through this class
I have learnt a lot about technology especially about non-digital technology
and what it includes. I have grown up in a world where digital technology is all
around us my family has usually always had the latest items of technology through
the years. I always thought I had quite a bit of knowledge on digital technology
well this was until I started working in a daycare. I have been surprised with
what knowledge the children have on the technology around them, what surprises
me the most is they don’t have to be shown how to use this technology for
example an ipad they figure out how to work it and sometimes know more than me.
I really enjoyed
reading the feedback about the three blogs that I posted in relation to the
camera I am planning on documenting the learning that has taken place and put
these photos on their portfolios and also carry on this learning expierence
further to develop the children’s camera skills. I would also like to go into
the community with the children and take photos possibly of the diggers around
the centre as this is an ongoing interest with the children and a way that I
can link it together. Greenfield, (2011) said that being out side should
encompass a sense of freedom (.p.6) I also really liked the idea about letting
the children go free with the camera and exploring for themselves I am not too
sure if I would be able to do this as we only have two cameras and might not be
able to replace one if it was broken but with teacher supervision it should be
ok to do.
With the keyboard
I would love to extend the activity through having the children play with a
keyboard that is connected to an actual computer but this is not available in
the centre. To further this I could do a drawing activity with the children
writing their names or I could possibly even bring my own personal laptop into
the centre so that the children are able to see the letters on the screen when
they press the buttons. Encouraging boys and girls to use these skills as they
engage in co-operative learning tasks can help to support their success in these
tasks and help to build positive sense of community for children within the group
(MacNaughton & Williams, 2009)
With the digger
this is mostly popular among the three and four year old boys but I have also seen the smaller
boys on it. I have not yet seen any girls have a go on the digger but from what
I have observed they are more than happy to help dig around and interact with
the boys that are playing on the digger They are encouraged to learn with and
along side others (Ministry of Education, 1996)
. What I would
like to do to carry on this interest of diggers with the children as I said
before to link with the cameras is to take the children on a excursion walk to
see what construction is going on around the centre and we can take photos of
the changes that have been made. Other ways that I could encourage and enhance
the problem- solving skills within my centre is through putting out resources
that will be new and different to the children, I would not explain how the
items that I set out are meant to work/ be put together and stand back and
observe the children would work with this. They will learn knowledge of trying
things out, explorations, and curiosity are important and valued ways of learning
(Ministry of Education, 1996)
Having nearly
completed this assignment, I am more aware of the technology around me both
digital and non-digital how it affects our everyday lives. I have learnt to
embrace that and even if I do not understand the new technology that is being
brought out and how it works. The children that I am working with will know
this technology and I need to embrace this and move forward with them.
Reference list
Hamer, J., &
Adams, P. (2003). The New Zealand
early childhood literacy handbook. New Zealand: Dunmore
Greenfield, C. (2011). Outside is where we need to
be: A guide to providing optimal outdoor environments in early childhood
settings (2nd ed). Manukau, New Zealand: Manukau Institute of
Technology.
MacNaughton, G.,
& Williams, G. (2009). Techniques
for teaching young children: Choices for theory and practice (3rd ed.).
New South Wales, Australia: Pearson Education Australia.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā
mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand:
Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in early childhood. Early education, 58 (1), 1-
9
No comments:
Post a Comment